With this week’s fed sourdough starter, I thought I’d try making english muffins. I wanted to do something different, but don’t have a lot of extras to add to a loaf.
Fed it Friday night and mixed them up on Saturday, then put them in the fridge for 24 hours, wanting as much sourdough flavor to come through as possible without adding any citric acid to the dough.
Sunday, when I got home from church, I rolled them out and cut them, ending up with 13 instead of the 12 I was expecting, but I’m not complaining.
After they’d sat for two hours (since they’d been in the fridge so long), I put them on my large skillet and let them cook there for about 12 minutes, with a cookie sheet on top of them to keep them flat.
After that time, I started checking the bottoms, the skillet doesn’t heat evenly, so some had to be turned before others. Tried to rotate them around and get them evenly browned.
When the first one was done, I was excited, for as you can see,
it looks like an english muffin!
Finished them all off, which took about 45 minutes.
Then, let myself eat the last one while it was still warm.
The bottom was toasted and I must say that I enjoyed it far better than any store-bought one I’ve ever had, with a hint of sour flavor and moisture unlike any of them. *sigh* I am content.